On June 8 in 1984, Ghostbusters opened in American theaters. Now, 33 years later, it continues to have an intensely devoted fan base and today we’re still celebrating Ghostbusters Day. Did you know that THE VOID teamed up with Sony Pictures, Ivan Reitman (creator of the Ghostbusters franchise) and Paul Feig (director of the 2016 film) in July 2016 and launched Ghostbusters: Dimension? You can experience it for yourself in New York, Lindon, Utah and Dubai. Find tickets here.
In celebration of Ghostbusters Day, we’ve put together our top 5 favorites moments from the 1984 film, plus a bonus moment from Ghostbusters: Dimension.
- Our favorite moment takes place during the opening scene—set in the New York Public Library—when The Ghostbusters have their first encounter with a real ghost. The scene portrays a purple, translucent ghost reading among the bookshelves in the reading room. Do you remember that scene? It’s similar to what THE VOID fans encounter in the first room of Ghostbusters: Dimension.
- Another favorite scene takes place at the Ghostbusters Headquarters, an old firehouse located in Tribeca in downtown New York City. The scene is set just a few miles from the Ghostbusters: Dimension experience at Madame Tussauds in Times Square. The Ghostbusters: Dimension is set inside a New York City apartment that is haunted by ghosts?
- Just as it appears in THE VOID’s Ghostbusters: Dimension, we love the scene where the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man almost takes hold of all of Manhattan. As Peter (Bill Murray) says, “Well that’s something you don’t see every day!” …Nor is it something you smell…. but in Ghostbusters: Dimension, you can actually smell burnt marshmallow.
- Be careful crossing the scaffolding as you try and defeat the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in THE VOID’s Ghostbusters: Dimension. Ghostbusters fans can relate to when The Ghostbusters defeat the 100-foot tall walking marshmallow man in the 1984 film. Suit up and try it for yourself at THE VOID!
- Last, but not least—everyone loves the “slimed” line in Ghostbusters—but we just love when Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) gets slimed during the Ghostbusters’ first bust in the Sedgewick Hotel. In THE VOID’s Ghostbusters: Dimension, you can actually feel ghosts moving past you as you fight them off.
And, our favorite moment from Ghostbusters: Dimension, when we strapped on that Proton Pack and stepped into a truly immersive experience like none other.
Want to be a Ghostbuster for real? Step beyond reality and check out THE VOID’s Ghostbusters: Dimension in New York, Lindon, Utah or Dubai.